Sunday, January 13, 2013

SISTERS

An old folk song has been swimming in my head lately and I find myself wondering about its real meaning.

It goes like this: "I had a sister Sally, she was younger than I am. She had so many sweethearts, she had to deny them. But, as for sister Sara, you know she hadn't many, but if you knew her well, she'd be grateful for any...don't let her die an old maid, but take her out of pity..."

Easily, I can relate it to the difference between when I was young and now, but I'm finding there's more to it than that.

There's Sally who chooses among many options .Then there's Sara who is grateful for life as it is given to her.  

These two parts exist in all of us - one is Sally and one is Sara. They are sisters.

Perhaps, too, when I was younger, I focused on choosing among the many possibilities and today I focus on choosing gratitude.








No comments:

Post a Comment