Sunday, August 12, 2012

ROOTS

My Dad and his two brothers sang in Grace Church Cathedral Boys Choir.

Our family always attended midnight mass on Christmas Eve there.

Jeanne, who sang regularly in a quartet with Dad, was a member of this church, sang in the choir and was a soloist.

Jeanne was very much a mother for me when I was young. When she finally became mother of her own children, we assumed more of an Aunt-Niece relationship. I babysat for all three of her kids.

Later, as a woman myself and we being fifteen years apart, we became more like sisters. She was the one woman in my life with whom I shared those secrets you don't tell anyone else.

Her granddaughter ,Jennifer, now a close friend with me, grew up singing in Grace Church Cathedral.

While I was in the area for my high school reunion, I attended Sunday service.

Jennifer was there. I was with my dear friend, Linda,  and I also realized my brother was there when we all went to receive communion.

Jeanne has passed into the next realm, but I am sure she was present to experience her son, his wife, and their son and daughter singing in Grace church Cathedral as a quartet.

Only the faces and styles and configurations change through the generations.

Although, I am but grafted onto an ancient tree, I felt my roots as alive and well in Grace Church Cathedral.


No comments:

Post a Comment